Monday, January 10, 2011

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

Featured Workspace: Jarel Remick

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 04:15 PM PST

Office desk (fisheye)

What does a web app ninja’s workspace look like? This week we look at the home office of Web.Appstorm editor Jarel Remick.

My current workspace. The left side looks a little bare but some of my camera gear is usually sitting behind the iMac and, if needed, my laptop might be sitting to the left of the keyboard. It’s usually not since I like empty space or space for stuff like notes, gadgets, etc.

To the left of the desk is usually my tripod, to the right is a small table where I’ve organized my cables and keep my batteries, router, etc. Just below the smaller table is one of my cat’s beds.

Desk stuff from left to right: snowball mic, gaming mouse, iMac w/ remote and iPhone shell under it, iPhone (using glif stand), headphones, second display, misc. stuff.

Behind me is where I put my bicycle, which I plan to hang once I move into my permanent office. Bare walls as well to avoid holes until I get the new office, then a bunch of my photos go up! :)

Like to know more about Jarel? Check out his interview here.

Would you like your workspace featured on Envato Notes? Just upload it to Flickr, add an interesting description, and tag it with #envatonotesworkspaces. Each week we'll choose and publish a new photo. Check out the other entries here.


Facebook Graph API Development with Flash: Win a Copy!

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 05:09 AM PST

Michael James Williams Packt Publishing

Activetuts+ Tech Editor Michael James Williams is the latest Envato Staff member to join the Published Club! He’s just finished writing a book on developing Facebook applications using Flash, and Activetuts+ has three copies to give away!

Head on over to Activetuts+ to see how you could win! Alternatively, check out Amazon or Packt for purchase details.


Author Interview: Biala

Posted: 10 Jan 2011 03:17 AM PST

Today we meet Alexander Mlazev (Biala) from AudioJungle.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?

My name is Alexander Mlazev and I live in Bulgaria. My friends use to call me Biala and that's the name I use in the music world. I just love the song creation process and I have been composing tunes for 15 years now.

However the music is just a hobby for me and I have to do something else for the money. :) This is the dark side of my life – I work as a software developer creating office applications for mobile phones. These are my boring days as a computer engineer. There are some nice moments too.

Which marketplaces do you belong to? What types of files do you sell?

I discovered the audiostock market few months ago and currently I have been registered at AudioJungle since June 2010. As I hate computers (because of my job) and I love punk and rock most of my audios are guitar based.

How did you get started? Have you had any formal training?

I started many years ago taking guitar lessons and then some harmony lessons. After that I started composing my own tunes and playing in a small band with friend of mine while my high school years. I took a two-year sound engineering course at the university and after that some singing lessons.

In 2007 we formed an alternative rock band called SCRTED, together with Dany, Svet and Misho. I was the singer and composer of the band. We recorded few songs, had some radio airplay and in 2009 the band was over.

Currently I am working alone and occasionally recording with a friend of mine on the drums.

Describe your home workspace.

At home I have the gear needed to record voice and guitars and a computer to mix and master the tracks.

Here is the command center. :)

I use this small Soundcraft Compact 4 mixer when recording.

I use 2 dynamic microphones by Shure:

  • Shure 565 for the voices
  • Shure PG 58 for the guitar amp.

I use 3 guitars:

  • Epiphone Sheraton 2
  • Electric Kremona (this one was customized by me)
  • Acoustic Kremona

At home I use small Fender Champion 600 amp and a few guitar effects like the Big Muff, some chorus and some other overdrive pedals.

Sometimes I go out and record at the local studio. That's me recording there.

Describe your creative process. What steps do you normally follow to create your files?

I have tried different song creation methods through the years until I found the one that I consider as the most successful. The secret for me is to create the music first in my mind, then represent it on the instrument, after that shape it again in my mind, make some corrections and go back to the instrument. After that I am ready to record it. That's the main part of the song.

When I have this on record – this is usually guitar or guitar plus voice in my case (in some cases I start with the bass and drums – but this is still the main idea), I start to listen to it again and again, creating the next instrument track in my mind. Then I record it and start shaping the other one. And so on…

When the song is ready I take a rest for few days – just listening to it from time to time. After that I am ready to choose the right tempo for the music. I make some corrections and rerecord the whole thing again. I may record it in the local studio or at home depending on my free time.

Now the sound polishing work begins. I start with the balance, some EQ corrections and compression, and other clever effects and tricks. Then I make the mastering of the whole track and my song is ready.

Now for AudioJungle I start to cut things. I remove the vocal tracks as they used to reject my items with vocals. :) (Also the text is not suitable for every buyer and I am not a native English speaker so… singing is just for the fans and radio.) Sometimes I take just the most catchy part or riffs and that is the final product that I send to the market.

What is your advice to other authors regarding how to create a successful portfolio?

I don't have a successful portfolio yet so I'm not giving any advice.

What do you do to market your files?

I keep my profile page updated, and keep uploading new stuff. I also write in the forums if someone is looking for some sounds that I have. In future I plan to put the AudioJunlge player on my web page and my Myspace profile.

What are your three favorite files, and why do you like them?

These are some of the files I am proud of :

Seller Boy (instrumental)

Space Ballad

Alien Waltz

Apart from yourself, who is your favorite marketplace author, and why do you like them?

My favorite AudioJungle author is RobGD. I just like his surf tunes. Also I prefer authors that play and record their instrument rather than using just samples.

What do you do in your spare time?

I spend that precious time with my family.


Featured Site: ActiveDen

Posted: 09 Jan 2011 07:49 PM PST

ActiveDen is where Envato (then called “Eden”) started. Originally called “FlashDen”, it is a marketplace with over 10,000 Flash and Flex files for sale from $1. Items include templates, galleries, music players, utilities, animations, video players, menus, preloaders, games, flash builder an Flex. The site has recently broadened its offerings to include Unity 3D items.

Head over and check out the items today. If you’re new to the site, make sure you check out the How Does ActiveDen Work? page.


1 comment:

  1. Iphone is an amazing invetion from apple.Its has many flaws and drabacks too.Apple should consider those things.It doesnt have bluetooth working with other phones even.I was shopping for iphone on online shopping when i came acros with different blogs.Do check it out for many other products.Iphone and blackberry phones are both the same.Blackberry comes with many new feature while iphone lacks sum functions.Iphone is brilliat in touch screen while other phones lack that capability.Iphone application are soo many that one can have the benefit ov it while blackberry lacks that option.

    ReplyDelete