Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

This Week’s Featured Authors

Posted: 13 Sep 2011 04:47 PM PDT

Congratulations to this week's featured marketplace authors.

jkdubb ActiveDen Featured Author: jkdubb

Our current featured author here on ActiveDen is jkdubb who joined in April 2007, has a portfolio of 34 items for sale and has racked up 1209 sales!
View jkdubb’s Portfolio

NikiN AudioJungle Featured Author: NikiN

Our current featured author here on AudioJungle is NikiN who joined in January 2010, has a portfolio of 98 items for sale and has racked up 154 sales!
View NikiN’s Portfolio

elemis ThemeForest Featured Author: elemis

Our current featured author here on ThemeForest is elemis who joined in July 2008, has a portfolio of 15 items for sale and has racked up 7851 sales!
View elemis’ Portfolio

sajjadcheraghi VideoHive Featured Author: sajjadcheraghi

Our current featured author here on VideoHive is sajjadcheraghi who joined in January 2011, has a portfolio of 18 items for sale and has racked up 400 sales!
View sajjadcheraghi’s Portfolio

dari GraphicRiver Featured Author: dari

Our current featured author here on GraphicRiver is dari who joined in April 2009, has a portfolio of 62 items for sale and has racked up 788 sales!
View dari’s Portfolio

Dessano 3DOcean Featured Author: Dessano

Our current featured author here on 3DOcean is Dessano who joined in November 2009, has a portfolio of 7 items for sale and has racked up 3 sales!
View Dessano’s Portfolio

cosmocoder CodeCanyon Featured Author: cosmocoder

Our current featured author here on CodeCanyon is cosmocoder who joined in February 2010, has a portfolio of 6 items for sale and has racked up 926 sales!
View cosmocoder’s Portfolio

jahimmyess Tutorials Featured Author: jahimmyess

Our current featured author here on Tuts+ Marketplace is jahimmyess who joined in August 2010, has a portfolio of 22 items for sale and has racked up 793 sales!
View jahimmyess’ Portfolio

Lisafx PhotoDune Featured Author: Lisafx

Our current featured author here on PhotoDune is Lisafx who joined in July 2011, has a portfolio of 6738 items for sale and has racked up 138 sales!
View Lisafx’s Portfolio


Envato Reaches One Million

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 11:43 PM PDT

At approximately 8pm last night (Melbourne, Australia) the one millionth person joined the Envato community.

For an online business with humble beginnings, the one million milestone is a momentous occasion!

Since being crowded in a living room in 2006, the people behind Envato have been working tirelessly to make it a world class contender. The last five years have seen the living room grow to a global company, relocate to an office in Melbourne and now includes staff and a wonderful community spanning numerous continents. It has been an incredible process to be a part of and we are proud to say that reaching one million members makes the journey that much sweeter.

We at Envato would like to extend a big thank you to all the authors, buyers and community members who have made Envato what it is today.
Without you, we would be so lonely.

Collis T’aeed the Founder and CEO of Envato

A million members is a phenomenal milestone for the Envato Marketplaces! It means a lot of people using these sites, and it’s very rewarding to know so many people are getting so much out of them. Whenever I think of the milestone “one million members”,
I must admit I kind of imagine Dr Evil announcing it! Here’s to many millions more!

Keep your eyes glued to Notes over the next few weeks, we have some exciting things planned for the milestone celebration!


Author Interview: BoostShock

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 11:00 PM PDT

Learning After Effects, having a messy workspace, and taking a DSLR everywhere he goes. This week we meet Anil Simsik (BoostShock) from VideoHive. And GraphicRiver. And AudioJungle.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?

Hello, my name is Anil Simsik. I am a motion graphic designer, originally from Turkey, but I live in Germany. I am currently a student, so I am not working (only as a author).

Which marketplaces do you belong to? What types of files do you sell?

First I started with GraphicRiver, because I didn’t have many ideas for VideoHive. But now I am to 90% at VideoHive, 9% at GraphicRiver and 1% at AudioJungle. My files at GraphicRiver are only action items. I guess it was the easiest way to sell files at GraphicRiver, but as I said I am now more on VideoHive and want to do some great project files.

How did you get started? Have you had any formal training?

I found a program called “After Effects”. I didn’t know what kind of program this was, so I watched some videos of it. After I saw what you can do with it, I told my buddy Ali about the program and we started to work with it. Like other people I watched a LOT of tutorials and videos. The first months with the program were very hard, but after you get the sense of working with it, it was kind of easy.

Describe your home workspace.

My home workspace is my desk with all my school things on it. It is pretty messy! I have a high quality microphone on my desk, because I make some German tutorials on YouTube and I need that.

Describe your creative process. What steps do you normally follow to create your files?

To get some inspiration for VideoHive is very hard. Sometimes I just watch some videos or TV commercials. Sometimes I just listen to inspirational music from AudioJungle. And sometimes I just have a sudden inspiration.

I don’t really have a creative process. I have to learn one, but for now that is my why to get the inspiration.

What is your advice to other authors regarding how to create a successful portfolio?

Do your own thing and don’t try to copy other authors who have successful items. That is the only advice I can give, because firstly I have to get a successful portfolio.

What are your three favorite files, and why do you like them?

Dual Reality

It is a great file! I like the atmosphere in the video.

3D Box Logo

I love short intros and this is one of the best. I really like the idea.

Unfold/Refold

All of BoonExplosion’s files are great. Everything movement is so smooth and he does a great keyframe job.

Apart from yourself, who is your favorite marketplace author, and why do you like them?

I really like BoonExplosion. He has very original items and ideas. And he is just the king of expressions and keyframing.

The second one is CarlB. He makes great grunge typography items and love his style.

Smudgethis (new author) makes very great typography files and he has a great style.

What do you do in your spare time?

Beside working with After Effects, Photoshop, etc. I like to take photos. I have a Pentax and I take my DSLR everywhere I go. I love it!

But my biggest hobby is making music. I have been a drummer for seven years and a Turkish guitar player for four years. I have a band with my school mates and I really love to make music. I can’t to anywhere without making a beat with my hands or feet.

And of course I like to play football with my friends.


Featured Workspace: David Appleyard

Posted: 12 Sep 2011 05:56 PM PDT

Tuts+ manager David Appleyard is getting some Zen in his UK-based home office. Mac simplicity meets bonsai tree. Moleskine meets iPhone.

I love how his wallpaper captures some of that earthiness, and the way everything is spaced on his spacious desk gives a real sense of minimalism.

Besides the iMac and iPhone, David has a nice looking condenser mic on the left (I can’t quite make out the model), and a single multimedia speaker on the right. I have no idea what the white device on the right is – any ideas?

What do you think of David's workspace? Let us know in the comments.

Would you like your workspace featured on Envato Notes? Upload your photo to somewhere on the Web and let us know about it on our Write a Post page. Or upload it to Flickr and tag it with #envatonotesworkspaces. Either way, add an interesting description. Each week we'll choose and publish a new photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment