Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

Your Say: Which book are you reading?

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 05:00 PM PDT

Reading by Jan H.

We want to hear from you. Each week we give you a chance to share your thoughts, opinions and ideas. Have your say!

Is there time in your life for reading books? Which book are you reading at the moment? Is it an ebook or paper book?


New Rockable Book – ‘LinkedIn and Lovin’ It’

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 09:24 AM PDT

LinkedIn and Lovin' It

Rockable Press continues to…well…rock! With a growing list of titles we’re excited to announce the latest addition – LinkedIn and Lovin’ It by author Susan Johnston!

Read on to find out what’s inside…

What’s Inside?

LinkedIn and Lovin' It coverShortly before I started up my freelance career, and before major social sites like Facebook or Twitter were booming, I was encouraged to sign up for a little service called LinkedIn.

After putting together a basic account and uploading a resume I sat back and waited for the offers to roll in.

And I sat.

And sat…

And as the years went by, nothing really happened. While my connections slowly grew, my job offers continued to be anemic. I chalked it up as just another social service that promises the moon but doesn’t deliver. You can imagine what I was thinking when I read Susan’s words in LinkedIn and Lovin’ It:

But as with other online networks, success depends on how (and how often) you use it. You might be one of the lucky few who can put up a profile, leave it to gather cyber dust, and magically attract new clients and other contacts.

But if you visit the site regularly (over half a million professionals visit the LinkedIn homepage each day), join groups and post comments (LinkedIn Groups get 1.2 million posts and commentsa week!), give and receive recommendations, and otherwise engage with the community, it's much more likely that you'll make valuable connections and get noticed by prospective clients.

You got me Susan. I was expecting miracles without muscles. If I was going to get anything out of LinkedIn I was going to have to invest some time in making it happen.

But where to start? LinkedIn and Lovin’ It is a great guide to get you on your way to making your LinkedIn profile more than just a dust collector.

Over 120 million professionals use LinkedIn, but how strong is your professional network? LinkedIn veteran and professional writer Susan Johnston teaches you how to build a rock solid LinkedIn network that can be a constant source for recommendations and referrals.

LinkedIn and Lovin’ It will take you from the basics of creating an account to the nitty-gritty details of how to make connections and drive clients to your freelance business. From instruction on how to get involved and how to position yourself amongst LinkedIn’s burgeoning user base, Susan dispenses practical tips on how freelancers can use LinkedIn’s tools to both connect and convert.

Some words from the Author

I wanted to ask Susan a couple questions on the new book and how it came together, so I sent off an email to get her thoughts. Here’s what she had to say:

How was it writing your first Rockable book?

Susan Johnston

When I pitched the idea for the book, I thought I understood the LinkedIn full potential. After all, I'd written several shorter articles and blog posts about LinkedIn and I have over 400 connections. But in the course of interviewing other creative professionals and researching the site, I discovered a ton of useful features and creative ways to leverage your network that few users know about. Of course, I’ve been so busy working on the book and promoting it, that now I finally need to practice what I preach and put these strategies into practice myself.

How important should LinkedIn to be for freelancers?

I know there are tons of online networks freelancers can use, but if you’re looking for new clients, then LinkedIn is a great place to do it. Everyone is focused on business and a huge portion of users are actually in a position to hire you. Of course, if you already have tons of clients, LinkedIn is a great way to stay in touch with them and organize your contacts. I may be biased since I wrote the book, but I’d say it’s an awesome tool!

LinkedIn and Lovin’ It is available in eBook format for $17. Head over to Rockable Press to buy a copy or download a 14 page sample!


No comments:

Post a Comment