Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

Community Superstar Winner – Jami Gibbs

Posted: 04 Oct 2011 09:41 AM PDT

Community Superstar Jami Gibbs

With September gone, it’s time for us to pick our Community Superstar winner for the month. This month’s winner is just downright awesome. Congratulations to Jami Gibbs!

Who is Jami Gibbs?

Jami has been an outstanding forum support and community moderator for us for a long time. Her interests, according to her portfolio, include salty food, Kings of Leon and Heineken beer. I can only assume that all those pretzels are making her thirsty.

She currently has 11 items for sale over on ThemeForest Marketplace and she could could probably beat me up in a bar fight.

Jami hails from Sweet Home Chicago and currently lives in Israel. She joined our community back in May 2010. You’ll always find her busy helping out and generally making the forums great.

I'm mostly into WordPress design but also like to mix it up with HTML site templates, landing pages, and email templates. If you have an idea for a great theme, would like to suggest improvements to my already released files, or just want to say 'hi', please get in touch with me.

We also did an author interview with Jami on where she describes how she got started and a gives us a glimpse into her life and work.

Jami fist-pumps John Wayne

Along with the ultra-cool gold superstar community badge (that only lasts for 12 months!), the prize this month is a 6 month Tuts+ premium subscription, a $30 Rockable ebook voucher and a $20 marketplace credit. Congratulations Jami!

October is here and I'm looking for our next winner. So get out there and rock the forums!


Author Interview: Vizion-Studios

Posted: 03 Oct 2011 11:00 PM PDT

Creating the theme music for CNN International, using Pro Tools, enjoying gourmet cooking, and giving a melody room to breathe. This week we meet Wesley Oliver (vizion-studios) from AudioJungle.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?

I am from Atlanta, GA and I’ve been a music producer / writer full time since 2001. My first major release was the original theme music for CNN International with the famous voice over by James Earl Jones, “This Is CNN”. I have developed recording artist in Orlando, Florida and been responsible for signing and securing two recording artist major record deals. I have also produced various music for advertising agencies and have won many various music awards for my work.

I have recorded and worked in London, Stockholm, Orlando, Nashville, Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Atlanta and New Orleans. I have recently ventured into Film and I’m about to produce my first music video. My primary focus is writing original music for license and also for various charities I produce free music for under my “Music For Hope” division of my company. I hope someday to be able to do Music For Hope full time and work exclusively with charities in developing cause related music projects that help them raise monies and public awareness.

Which marketplaces do you belong to? What types of files do you sell?

AudioJungle.

How did you get started? Have you had any formal training?

I’m self-taught, and play be ear.

Describe your home workspace.

Primarily I use Pro Tools as my recording suite, and have an extensive boutique of vintage keyboards and sound modules. My favorite is the SE 1 Analog Bass Module and my Yamaha S90 es piano keyboard.

Describe your creative process. What steps do you normally follow to create your files?

I usually start with a “mood” and let the music/writing flow naturally.

What is your advice to other authors regarding how to create a successful portfolio?

Always look to see what is selling and make sure you are writing music that hits the same “emotional chords” melodically and dynamically.

What do you do to market your files?

I have just started a blog and I look forward to driving traffic to my portfolio that way. I also respond to various “items requested” to gain exposure that way as well.

What are your three favorite files, and why do you like them?

Redeeming Season

Morning Angels

The Rising

I like the emotional chords these three tracks touch and the simplistic melodies. Music should not be over-produced. A good melody needs room to breathe.

Apart from yourself, who is your favorite marketplace author, and why do you like them?

Soundroll of course. Awesome production they are creating. Why? They record “real instruments” fused in with soft synths making for a unique cool sound. Something I love to do. for example, “real hand claps” – a lost art . lol

What do you do in your spare time?

I read, go boating (love the water), play lots of basketball and work out almost everyday. Gourmet cooking is my favorite non-music creative thing to do. Helping charities and those in need will one day be my main gig!


Tweet-a-Logo: Win $250 Credit

Posted: 03 Oct 2011 10:06 PM PDT

To celebrate the talent of our GraphicRiver authors and the success of the Logos category, we are holding the Tweet-a-Logo competition. Just by Tweeting your favourite GraphicRiver logo you enter the running to win $250 of Marketplace credit to buy as many logo’s as you like!

Simply follow @envato on Twitter then choose a logo out of the library of more than 2300 available on GraphicRiver.  Choose any logo you like, as long as its something that inspires, awes or interests you. Tweet a link to the logo to your followers, making sure to include the hashtag #tweetalogo and a witty comment, to enter the competition! That's it. You can enter as many times as you like to increase your chances of winning, just make sure to tweet a different logo each time.

At the end of the competition period we'll sort through the entries and post an article right here on Envato Notes with the most witty, awesome, funny or somehow interesting  logo Tweets – along with the user on Twitterwho recommended them. The winner will be chosen from the shortlist so get Tweeting to win the $250 prize. Imagine what you could do with $250 of stock graphics, templates and more!

The contest is open from now until the 18th of October.


No comments:

Post a Comment