Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

Submission Tip: Read the Instructions when Resubmitting Soft-rejected Items (AudioJungle)

Posted: 25 Oct 2011 05:00 PM PDT

Howdy talented authors! In an ongoing quest for transparency, we bring you another submission tip. These are regular juicy tidbits about our review process, and address issues that can trip up authors. This tip is aimed at AudioJungle authors, but may be relevant to authors in our other marketplaces.

Today we have a brief look at resubmitting soft-rejected items.

If your file gets soft rejected, and your are instructed to resubmit only the preview or main file, please do not attach the other one.

Chime in at the comments if you have any questions and thanks for reading!


This Week’s Featured Authors

Posted: 25 Oct 2011 04:46 PM PDT

Congratulations to this week's featured marketplace authors!

lhp ActiveDen Featured Author: lhp

This week’s featured author is lhp, who has 4 items, including the newest from the Banner Rotators category.
View lhp’s Portfolio

Yuar AudioJungleFeatured Author: Yuar

This week’s featured author is Yuar, who has 100 items, including the newest from the Classical category.
View Yuar’s Portfolio

Dream-Theme ThemeForest Featured Author: Dream-Theme

This week’s featured author is Dream-Theme, who has 17 items, including the newest from the Photography category.
View Dream-Theme’s Portfolio

Doren VideoHive Featured Author: Doren

This week’s featured author is Doren, who has 5 items, including the newest from the Special Events category.
View Doren’s Portfolio

BitGorilla GraphicRiver Featured Author: BitGorilla

This week’s featured author is BitGorilla, who has 19 items, including the newest from the Magazines category.
View BitGorilla’s Portfolio

polysense 3DOcean Featured Author: polysense

This week’s featured author is polysense, who has 17 items, including the newest from the Furniture category.
View polysense’s Portfolio

pixelentity CodeCanyon Featured Author: pixelentity

This week’s featured author is pixelentity, who has 5 items, including the newest from the Sliders category.
View pixelentity’s Portfolio

emmajane Tutorials Featured Author: emmajane

This week’s featured author is emmajane, who has 4 items, including the newest from the Marketing category.
View emmajane’s Portfolio

Kobyakov PhotoDune Featured Author: Kobyakov

This week’s featured author is Kobyakov, who has 1702 items.
View Kobyakov’s Portfolio


Author Interview: RelStudios

Posted: 25 Oct 2011 04:59 AM PDT

Coming from Nepal, studying in India, being a self-taught web developer, and loving football. This week we meet Satish Pokharel (RelStudios) from ThemeForest.

If you're an Envato marketplace author and would like to be interviewed for the blog, head over to this form. We'd love to hear from you.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?

Hi. I am Satish Pokharel, a Web Developer and Designer at RelStudios. I am 18 yrs old, and come from Nepal.

Currently I am doing my B.Tech (Engineering Course in IT branch) in India. My parents send money to help with my living costs, and I also have a chance to earn some little amount of money to cover my personal expenses.

Which marketplaces do you belong to? What types of files do you sell?

I belongs to ThemeForest, which is one of the finest marketplaces at which I have ever worked. Mostly right now I sell site templates and landing pages, but soon I will also be selling WordPress templates.

How did you get started? Have you had any formal training?

It’s quite long and interesting story of my life in this web field. But I will try to make it shorter. I formally started on the web before I was one year old. But as my hobby was web development, I made some fancy stuff before I was 12 yrs old.

As I am from Nepal (a developing country), I didn’t have many resources for learning, and my parents didn’t even know what I was doing in front of a computers for hours and hours.

I am a self-taught guy. What I have learned so far I learned on my own.

Describe your home workspace.

Right now my home workspace is quite small, and I have limited resources. I have a Sony Viao laptop with a 320 GB hard drive and 3 GB RAM.

Describe your creative process. What steps do you normally follow to create your files?

Through my designing process first of all I try to visualize the whole thing, and then I sketch with pencil and paper to flow my ideas. Only then I open Photoshop and start mocking the whole thing from scratch. Then I code without touching the Javascript field, and when I finish coding I add flavors to my site.

What is your advice to other authors regarding how to create a successful portfolio?

My advice and suggestion to other authors is to visualize the whole thing, and be creative enough to create good stuff. Be inspired by others, but don’t copy what they do. It’s a bad habit to copy – you end up always copying someone else’s work forever. So it’s better to create you own new stuff.

What do you do to market your files?

I tweet in Twitter and post my item links to Facebook. That’s all I do for marketing.

What are your three favorite files, and why do you like them?

My three favorite files are :

Livepuse Business and Portfolio WordPres Theme

Karma – Clean and Modern WordPress Theme

inFocus – Powerful Professional WordPress Theme

I like these three files mostly because they have creative and unique design to stand out in the marketplace.

Apart from yourself, who is your favorite marketplace author, and why do you like them?

I like Manuel Cerventus (MCStudios), Chris (Sevenspark), and Scott Parry (iKreativ). I like them because they always helped me a lot in giving suggestions for my betterment. And they are all talented and nice guys.

What do you do in your spare time?

Mostly in my spare time I play games, hang out with friends, watch movies, and play football. I love football, in fact. :)


Featured Desktop: Kevin Whipps

Posted: 24 Oct 2011 07:23 PM PDT

This is the carefully-branded workspace of Kevin Whipps, contributing writer for iPhone.AppStorm. Click the images to view them full-size on Flickr.

I love this workspace. It looks comfortable, yet well-used. And there are interesting little knick-knacks all over the place.

This is where the magic happens. 2009-ish era 15-inch MacBook Pro and a 27-inch LED Cinema Display up front. Wireless keyboard and trackpad connected with a 12South Magic Wand. There’s also a small Moleskine notebook and Logitech Performance MX mouse there as well. Hopefully I’ll have my 11-inch MacBook Air soon, or maybe a 13.

My office when viewed from the West. That’s a Herman Miller Aeron Chair, a 2007-era 20-inch iMac on the rear desk, a trio of Western Digital Drives (1, 2 and 3TB), and some of my Lego Star Wars collection. Also pictured are two Matchbox cars that they made after a car I built, which I thought was pretty cool.

Me and my kiddo, (Kevin Jr, who is 19 months old) taken with Photo Booth.

What do you think of Kevin's workspace? Let us know in the comments.

Would you like your workspace featured on Envato Notes? Upload your photo to somewhere on the Web and let us know about it on our Write a Post page. Or upload it to Flickr and tag it with #envatonotesworkspaces. Either way, add an interesting description. Each week we'll choose and publish a new photo.


No comments:

Post a Comment