Monday, November 14, 2011

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

Featured Workspace: MSFX

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 05:33 PM PST

This is a photo of ActiveDen author MSFX‘s new workspace. Matt recently moved in with his gorgeous fiancĂ©e Hattie (congratulations to you both!), and part of the bargain was this brilliant new office.

His workspace sports a spacious desk, a dual-monitor Windows PC, the very popular Logitech NX Revolution mouse, some cool nicknacks, and the nicest-looking chair I’ve seen in any featured workspace so far.

This is the view out his window. Very nice! I could spend all afternoon looking at that view.

What do you think of Matt's workspace? Let us know in the comments.

Would you like your workspace featured on Envato Notes? Upload your photo to somewhere on the Web and let us know about it on our Write a Post page. Or upload it to Flickr and tag it with #envatonotesworkspaces. Either way, add an interesting description. Each week we'll choose and publish a new photo.


CartoonSmart Now on the Tuts+ Marketplace

Posted: 14 Nov 2011 02:59 PM PST

CartoonSmart is now selling items on our Tutorial marketplace! CartoonSmart are an independent tutorial provider, specializing in everything from Flash and Web Development, to Animation and Game Development. Their courses are detailed, multiple-hour videos, taught by experienced people in each of the fields. Not only are they professional and informative, CartoonSmart always include their source files and assets, so you can follow up on your learning. Some tutorials they are selling are; HTML5 and Dreamweaver WebsitesMobile Actionscript 3 Basics, Actionscript 3 Sling Shot Apps and Actionscript 3 Side Scroller Games for Mobile.


As you can see they’re already rocking some great HTML5 and Actionscript/Flash tutorials on our site and have more coming in each week. If you are looking to learn some new skills or brush up on your old ones, head to the Tuts+ marketplace and check out CartoonSmart’s items.


Meet the Staff: Japh Thomson

Posted: 13 Nov 2011 11:53 PM PST

Promoting WordPress and getting paid for it, being a mobile worker, loving to travel, and working from a balcony in Paris with a view of the Eiffel Tower. This week we meet WordPress Evangelist Japh Thomson.

What is your position in Envato, and what has it been like to work with us so far?

I’m Envato’s new WordPress Evangelist! I’ve worked for Envato before in Support, a few articles here and there, and also some WordPress plugin development. So I’m not new to Envato, but I’m loving this new role. Promoting WordPress and getting paid for it! <3

What projects are you working on at the moment?

At the moment I’m spending a lot of time on Envato’s marketplace forums, seeing where our authors are coming from. I’ve also been helping users on the WordPress.org forums, writing articles for blogs like wpbeginner.com, and making tutorials for our wp.tutsplus.com site. I’ve also been chatting to our review team about how we can improve things for them, while also improving the quality of code in our ThemeForest themes and CodeCanyon plugins.

I’m also keeping my ear to the ground about new things popping up, and giving our authors the heads up. Things like the recent WooCommerce plugin from WooThemes, and Thomas Griffin’s Plugin Activation class, which are some very exciting developments authors can take advantage of.

Once WordPress 3.3 is released and work starts on 3.4 I’m hoping to get into some real core WordPress contributions too. After many years of developing websites, I have come to have a real passion for WordPress, so I want to contribute to helping it progress, which is exciting.

Describe your workspace.

I really pride myself on being mobile. My workspace really consists of my MacBook Pro, iPhone, and iPad, and I can work from pretty well anywhere as long as I can get internet access. (I actually worked from my car for over an hour the other day while I waited for my favourite cafe to open!)

I work from at least three different locations most weeks. Actually, when I worked in Support for Envato, I was travelling around Europe, and liked to tease Drew that I was working from my balcony in Paris with a view of the Eiffel Tower!

What does your average day look like?

My average day consists of checking emails in the morning, then I usually try to split my day between two tasks, one for the morning and one for the afternoon. That way, if I need to relocate, I can do it either first thing in the morning, or at midday. I do a bit of forum browsing, blog reading, and general catching up while I’m having breakfast, then into the WordPress plugin coding or whatever is on the agenda.

What do you do when you’re not working?

When I’m not working? Um… I’m not sure I understand the question… Ok, I’m kidding (sort of). When I’m not working my wife and I love to travel. We also both love photography (she takes photos, and I look at them), and we live near a beach so exploring our neighbourhood is always fun too.


No comments:

Post a Comment