Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

This Week’s Featured Authors

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 02:46 PM PST

Congratulations to this week’s featured marketplace authors.

junus ActiveDen Featured Author: junus

This week’s featured author is junus, who has 12 items, including the newest from the Puzzles & Educational category.
View junus’ Portfolio

ExElvele AudioJungle Featured Author: ExElvele

This week’s featured author is ExElvele, who has 40 items, including the newest from the Motivational category.
View ExElvele’s Portfolio

duotive ThemeForest Featured Author: duotive

This week’s featured author is duotive, who has 4 items, including the newest from the Portfolio category.
View duotive’s Portfolio

ImperialFlyers GraphicRiver Featured Author: ImperialFlyers

This week’s featured author is ImperialFlyers, who has 11 items, including the newest from the Flyers category.
View ImperialFlyers’ Portfolio

no-thumbnail 3DOcean Featured Author: tsura

This week’s featured author is tsura, who has 2 items, including the newest from the Characters category.
View tsura’s Portfolio

Semenov CodeCanyon Featured Author: Semenov

This week’s featured author is Semenov, who has 3 items, including the newest from the Sliders category.
View Semenov’s Portfolio

PhotoPremium Tutorials Featured Author: PhotoPremium

This week’s featured author is PhotoPremium, who has 17 items, including the newest from the Fundamentals category.
View PhotoPremium’s Portfolio

no-thumbnail PhotoDune Featured Author: leungchopan

This week’s featured author is leungchopan, who has 2749 items.
View leungchopan’s Portfolio


Author Interview: Gljivec

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 12:00 AM PST

Developing Oracle applications, discovering Flash and ActiveDen, planning around Flash’s uncertain future, and cycling three or four times a week. This week we meet Ales Krivec (gljivec) from ActiveDen, CodeCanyon and PhotoDune.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?

I am from Slovenia which is a part of EU. I develop Oracle applications, write PL/SQL scripts and also do some database administration.

On the side I develop Flash and jQuery apps, WordPress websites and plugins, ecommerce websites. I do some photography for a hobby.

Which marketplaces do you belong to? What types of files do you sell?

I started on ActiveDen two years ago with a series of slideshows and image rotators. I since developed several slideshows, Facebook Templates, calendars and some animations. Recently I built some files for CodeCanyon (mainly WordPress plugins that I developed from some of my Flash files). I also have some photographs on PhotoDune.

How did you get started? Have you had any formal training?

I have a degree from the Faculty of Computer and Information Science. That is mainly formal education for my primary job.

I started learning Flash for fun about three years ago after I found out about ActiveDen and loved the idea of selling my work on a stock market. I took the approval process as some sort of a faculty. Each file that was approved was like passing an exam.

How were you introduced into Flash development? (LandonWilson)

My first interaction with Flash was when Flash 4 was released. A friend told me that there is software out there to make nice animations with, and I tried it out. I never got very into it until I found a website called FlashDen. :)

The idea of selling Flash files on stock market sounded really great so this was the main motivation to start seriously learning Flash. About two months later my first file was approved.

How do you feel about HTML5 and CSS3? (LandonWilson)

I believe the future of web design is in HTML5 and CSS3, and I am currently learning both. The future of Flash is just too uncertain, and lack of support on mobile devices is making it less and less useful.

So my latest plugin on CodeCanyon is written in HTML/CSS instead of Flash and I will definitely make more of those in the future. I will keep developing stuff in Flash because I just love the platform, but for the time being I will not be doing anything new for the Flash stock market.

Describe your home workspace.

My home workspace is just a simple L-shaped office desk with a desktop computer and a big 27″ LCD monitor.

Describe your creative process. What steps do you normally follow to create your files?

I don’t follow a procedure, ideas just spring to mind, and after I imagine what I would like to do I rarely forget. So I rarely write or sketch ideas on paper.

What is your advice to other authors regarding how to create a successful portfolio?

Branding and design. When I started uploading files on ActiveDen my files lacked good design, and that surely affect sales. If you look at the best selling authors you will see that they developed a distinct (and amazing) design that is eye-catching.

Design is the first aspect that customers will notice so it has to draw their attention. Even if you develop a file with amazing code, if the design isn’t on par with it, the sales will suffer.

What do you do to market your files?

I run a blog where I present most of my files (Flash and WordPress Plugins). I also offer free PSD files (website templates, graphic elements, etc.). I write Flash tutorials, publish my photographs, and write design articles to attract visitors. And I get some referrals through that.

Website: http://premiumcoding.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/premiumcoding
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/GFlashDesign

What are your three favorite files, and why do you like them?

Translucent Facebook Template by VF:

In my opinion this is the best Facebook template on ActiveDen. I really like the simplicity and vivid colors of the background.

Food Deluxe Restaurant Template by damojo

Amazing design. If I owned a restaurant I would want my website to look just like this.

Pocket Christmas Card by Kontramax:

The best holiday card I have ever seen. Amazing, clean and smooth animation. Truly great work.

Apart from yourself, who is your favorite marketplace author, and why do you like them?

My favourite author is Damojo. There are many great authors out there but I chose someone that comes from ActiveDen (where I started selling). I think he has mind-blowing design skills and great ideas for templates and slideshows. His work is fresh, unique and looks great.

What do you do in your spare time?

I like to cycle, at least 3-4 times a week. Lately I started doing photography and I love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment