Thursday, January 19, 2012

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

Thank You Note from a Sound Hunter

Posted: 19 Jan 2012 12:47 AM PST

Two Worlds by Jose Maria Cuellar

From time to time a new thread pops up on Envato forums in which a fellow author wants to express how thankful he is for the opportunities he seized thanks to Envato marketplaces. Most of them are about the amount of money the authors gained, or maybe contacts and other job opportunities. It mostly comes down to the “earn” part of the “earn and learn” motto behind Envato. Of course, I can’t say that I’m not thankful for everything I manage to earn, but I’m especially thankful for something that I started experiencing a few months ago. At least that’s when I started noticing it. :)

I’ve been an author on the Envato marketplaces more than two years now, but for the most of the first year I was quite passive. Then I decided I should invest in recording equipment and start uploading sound recordings and effects. And that was the key moment.

At first it was so easy, there were a lot of sounds around me. It was enough to press the “record” button and the sound was there, caught in a digital cage called WAV. But the more sounds I caught, the harder it got. At one point I ran out of new ideas. I’ve caught all the rabbits and wild boars and now I needed a real beast! Bear, lion, dragon! :) But, I also needed small exotic animals, something like tropical fish, or that cute ticklish slow loris you probably saw at one point here on Envato.. ;)

Beasts are easier to catch than it seems; you just need to try a bit harder, to reach out and grab them. The real problem was with small exotic species, because they are hiding. Tropical fish is usually hidden in colorful coral reefs. You need to know where to look for them and even if you see them, they’re hard to catch. And that’s where you need to start being creative. I started listening all the time, paying attention to details. Cute little fishes started showing up everywhere. And that’s when I realized how complicated our brain is.

You probably had the situation with a wall clock: you usually don’t hear it ticking, but sometimes it becomes so loud that you can’t stand it! Well, it’s not about clock at all; it’s all about human brain and signals that tell it to start or stop noticing stimuli from our surroundings. In the process of trying to ‘isolate’ new sounds from my surroundings, I discovered so many hidden sounds, overpowered by urban noise. Most importantly, I’ve discovered that I can consciously decide which sound to hear. I am now able to enjoy in myriad of sounds that were previously unknown to me, simply because I wasn’t paying attention.

I just want to thank Envato (i.e. AudioJungle) for opening my eyes… No, that was wrong. :D For opening my ears, better yet! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment