Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

This Week’s Featured Marketplace Authors

Posted: 07 Feb 2012 04:00 PM PST

Congratulations to this week’s featured marketplace authors.

ravi_allamFeatured ActiveDen Author: ravi_allam

This week’s featured author is ravi_allam, who has 6 items, including the newest from the MP3 Players category.
View ravi_allam’s Portfolio

joesaccoFeatured AudioJungle Author: joesacco

This week’s featured author is joesacco, who has 107 items, including the newest from the House category.
View joesacco’s Portfolio

proxdeveloperFeatured ThemeForest Author: proxdeveloper

This week’s featured author is proxdeveloper, who has 4 items, including the newest from the Portfolio category.
View proxdeveloper’s Portfolio

GrandTerrFeatured VideoHive Author: GrandTerr

This week’s featured author is GrandTerr, who has 16 items, including the newest from the Openers category.
View GrandTerr’s Portfolio

mKrukowskiFeatured GraphicRiver Author: mKrukowski

This week’s featured author is mKrukowski, who has 832 items, including the newest from the Miscellaneous category.
View mKrukowski’s Portfolio

LuckyfoxFeatured 3DOcean Author: Luckyfox

This week’s featured author is Luckyfox, who has 10 items, including the newest from the Buildings category.
View Luckyfox’s Portfolio

mythodeiaFeatured CodeCanyon Author: mythodeia

This week’s featured author is mythodeia, who has 9 items, including the newest from the iPhone category.
View mythodeia’s Portfolio

rockablepressFeatured Tutorials Author: rockablepress

This week’s featured author is rockablepress, who has 22 items, including the newest from the Workflow category.
View rockablepress’ Portfolio

ryanking999Featured PhotoDune Author: ryanking999

This week’s featured author is ryanking999, who has 1338 items.
View ryanking999′s Portfolio


Author Interview: WriterTracks

Posted: 06 Feb 2012 10:00 PM PST

Belonging to the Glee Club at school, selling songs geared toward songwriters, aiming to make the majority of his money through the Envato marketplaces, and having a close family. This week we meet Jamie Graves (WriterTracks) from AudioJungle.

If you're an Envato marketplace author and would like to be interviewed for the blog, head over to this form. We'd love to hear from you.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?

My name is Jamie Graves. I am from the U.S. and the beautiful state of Tennessee. I am married (over 18 years) and have two children.

I grew up near Nashville and have been involved with bands since the age of 13. I began playing the piano at age 11 and moved on to keyboards and multi-track recording. I started with a Vesta-Fire 4 track Cassette recorder.

Now, I produce tracks for stage shows, songwriters, some well known artists and some up and coming artists. I am fortunate to be able to make a living from my work room in the lower part of my home.

Which marketplaces do you belong to? What types of files do you sell?

AudioJungle. I sell files geared toward songwriters. My tracks are designed to inspire the songwriter to either write or finish a song.

How did you get started? Have you had any formal training?

I started by watching a gospel quartet at an outdoor concert. I was fascinated by the piano player.

In high school I played piano for the Glee Club. The director was also a keyboard player and introduced me to drum machines and sequencing. I have had no formal training and can’t read music very well. I have had some private instruction from some great players throughout the years.

Describe your home workspace.

My workspace is in my basement. I use Cubase as my platform. My favorite pieces of gear I have are my Earthworks pre-amp and old Yamaha Motif. I record vocals through a Rhode NT-1A. I have an Earthworks M-30 that I use in conjunction with the Rhode for Acoustic instruments.

I use Ivory software for my piano sound. I have Stylus, Atmosphere, Albino and several other software pieces. I have both Mac and PC, but am gradually going all Mac.

Describe your creative process. What steps do you normally follow to create your files?

I usually start with a groove or loop and build on that. Sometimes me and the other band guys just jam with the red light on (we call it red-hearsing). A lot of times ideas are captured that way.

I have had to re-create a lot of cover songs through the years via karaoke. I have been exposed to a wide array of genres, so that helps tremendously.

What is your advice to other authors regarding how to create a successful portfolio?

  1. Quality work. Spend time on your creation. Don’t skimp.
  2. Consistency. Upload on a regular basis.
  3. Promote. Use blogs, social networks to get your stuff heard.
  4. Don’t quit. Even when sales are at a stand still, stay in the game.

What do you do to market your files?

Linking from the major social networks is the primary way, but I am about to incorporate some new ideas in 2012. My goal is to make the majority of my income from AudioJungle.

What are your three favorite files, and why do you like them?

Pop 9

I just like the groove and feel of this track. I love old wulitzer piano sounds.

Joy To The World Pop

I love Christmas music and this track just turned out really cool. My colleague, Greg, did a fantastic job on the guitar work.

Pop 5

I dig the keyboard guitar loop. I love intentional sounding key guitar. You can’t replace the real thing. Key guitar just has a sound all its own.

Apart from yourself, who is your favorite marketplace author, and why do you like them?

Tim McMorris. He is a talented guy and a very nice guy. He has been very encouraging to me.

What do you do in your spare time?

When I am not producing music I am trying to generate work, so there is very little spare time. Our family is very close and we spend it together on outings, movies, football games, the usual family stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment