Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

This Week’s Featured Authors

Posted: 14 Feb 2012 04:00 PM PST

Congratulations to this week’s featured marketplace authors.

nitroxFeatured ActiveDen Author: nitrox

This week’s featured author is nitrox, who has 9 items, including the newest from the Creative/Portfolio category.
View nitrox’s Portfolio

thesensercomplexFeatured AudioJungle Author: thesensercomplex

This week’s featured author is thesensercomplex, who has 67 items, including the newest from the Rock category.
View thesensercomplex’s Portfolio

onlinesolutionsFeatured ThemeForest Author: onlinesolutions

This week’s featured author is onlinesolutions, who has 9 items, including the newest from the Restaurants & Cafes category.
View onlinesolutions’ Portfolio

DoubleXFeatured VideoHive Author: DoubleX

This week’s featured author is DoubleX, who has 5 items, including the newest from the 3D, Object category.
View DoubleX’s Portfolio

MonikaMFeatured GraphicRiver Author: MonikaM

This week’s featured author is MonikaM, who has 13 items, including the newest from the Miscellaneous category.
View MonikaM’s Portfolio

dereeFeatured 3DOcean Author: deree

This week’s featured author is deree, who has 81 items, including the newest from the Symbols category.
View deree’s Portfolio

BenMartinStudiosFeatured CodeCanyon Author: BenMartinStudios

This week’s featured author is BenMartinStudios, who has 6 items, including the newest from the Miscellaneous category.
View BenMartinStudios’ Portfolio

BeNormalFeatured Tutorials Author: BeNormal

This week’s featured author is BeNormal, who has 1 item, including the newest from the Fundamentals category.
View BeNormal’s Portfolio

SubbotinaFeatured PhotoDune Author: Subbotina

This week’s featured author is Subbotina, who has 3752 items.
View Subbotina’s Portfolio


Author Interview: ProgressionStudios

Posted: 13 Feb 2012 10:00 PM PST

Moving through the ranks as a developer, starting his own web development company, “test, test, and re-test your files before uploading them”, and playing Frisbee Golf. Today we meet Michael Garcia (ProgressionStudios) from ThemeForest.

If you're an Envato marketplace author and would like to be interviewed for the blog, head over to this form. We'd love to hear from you.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?

My name is Michael Garcia, and I am a 24-year-old full-time web developer from Northern California. Previously I worked as the Lead Developer for a newspaper company until my departure in 2008 when I started the web development company Progression Studios.

Which marketplaces do you belong to? What types of files do you sell?

The marketplace I spend the most time on is ThemeForest. I currently sell Site Templates and WordPress Themes. This is because web design is what I am most proficient with.

In the future I would like to sell more files like WordPress Plugins on CodeCanyon and various Photoshop Graphics on GraphicRiver.

How did you get started? Have you had any formal training?

I haven't had much formal training in regards to web development or graphic design. I actually graduated with a degree in Business Marketing, which I apply to my business practices but not day-to-day web development.

I started by teaching myself Photoshop for fun via tutorials from around the web. I then moved towards web development after having an internship in high school that led to my first job as a Junior Web Designer. After holding a position as Junior Web Designer, I eventually moved through the ranks to Lead Developer. I consider most of my training as "on-the-job" training.

Describe your home workspace.

I work from my at home office in Northern California. My main workspace consists of a giant mouse pad with a desk hiding underneath it, and then a MacBook Pro connected to a 27-inch Apple Cinema Display. Having a laptop is an ideal work-machine for me as it allows me to take my work while traveling.

Describe your creative process. What steps do you normally follow to create your files?

I usually start WordPress Themes and Site Templates by choosing what kind of template or theme I will be crafting. The topics for the theme often come from buyer requests or client projects.

At any given time, I have two to three topics already chosen for new themes. After settling on one topic like Photography, I move onto the design in Photoshop. The design step takes the longest, as polishing the theme will ensure increased sales and that the final theme will meet ThemeForest standards. After that, the HTML/CSS Coding the Documentation can be completed.

What is your advice to other authors regarding how to create a successful portfolio?

  • Make sure to support your files and you will gain repeat buyers
  • Test, test, and re-test your files before uploading them as the first comments in the Item Discussion are browser bug reports
  • If you get a marketplace item rejected, don't get too frustrated as it happens to everybody

What do you do to market your files?

I market my files on DeviantArt, Creattica, and various CSS Galleries. Additionally, buyers often request WordPress versions of my Site Templates. I have an e-mail newsletter that will notify buyers when I release new themes. This helps get repeat buyers that already know our quality of work.

What are your three favorite files, and why do you like them?

Broadside – Premium WordPress Theme

This is a WordPress theme that was designed by pezflash. I am really happy how it turned out because this is a conversion of a flash item from ActiveDen. It really demonstrates the possibilities of JavaScript and CSS3.

Adora – Premium Business & Portfolio Theme

This is another converted Site Template that was a top seller. I am happy how the theme turned out of the unique layout and full-width slider.

Galleria – Photography and Portfolio WordPress Theme

This is my first WordPress Theme I created with the help of Taha from wizyLabs. I believe the theme turned out well as a minimalist photography theme.

Apart from yourself, who is your favorite marketplace author, and why do you like them?

My favorite marketplace author apart from myself is peerapong. The quality and amount of work put out by peerapong is inspiring. Peerapong's work includes photography, business, hotel, and magazine themes and that's just naming a few. Even more amazing, is that Peerapong has published so many quality items in such a short time, member since May 2010.

What do you do in your spare time?

Most of my spare time is actually spent on a computer reading blogs or watching internet shows. This also helps so that I am always available to answer support questions while online.

When I need a break, I usually get on my bicycle and go riding. It's a great hobby and helps me get out of the at-home office. I also enjoy paint-balling, playing Frisbee Golf and watching Formula 1.


Important: Envato Content Policy and Portfolio Review

Posted: 13 Feb 2012 09:39 PM PST

As many of our Envato Marketplace authors will know, I recently posted up on Notes about Use of Assets in Previews on Envato Marketplaces. We’ve had a lot of discussion on the post and the forums, and I’m going to be following up on the post with a series here on Notes to clarify and educate authors more on these issues.

It’s really important to us that all our authors understand how to respect other people’s intellectual property. At the end of the day, intellectual property is what is being sold on the Envato Marketplaces, so it just makes sense that we should be respectful and mindful of others as we wish them to be of our own. There’s lots of articles in the Wiki’s Copyright section which are worth reading as a refresher.

Important: read our content policy and review your portfolio

In particular I wanted to draw your attention to our Content Policy article on the wiki. This was formerly posted under the title “Copyright Policy”, and we’ve just updated it with more detail.

It’s worth a close read to make sure you understand how Envato approaches important intellectual property issues. By and large Envato authors are both careful and respectful of intellectual property, but I think it’s always good to refresh and deepen your understanding.

So, we are asking all our authors to take a look at their portfolio of items across Envato marketplaces to make sure that they comply with our Content Policy and Membership Terms. I appreciate this may take some time if you have a large number of items, so we are giving our authors until March 12th to do this.

Remember, any asset that you haven’t created yourself must be properly licensed, including for use in previews. And all photos used within marketplace items, including previews, must be model released (which effectively excludes photos of celebrities). See What Images, Videos, Illustrations or Music can I use in My Item?

As we outline in our content policy, if an author is the subject of repeat DMCA take down notices, we will disable that author’s account. We may also disable author accounts for alleged violations of other intellectual property rights, or where we consider an author to have repeatedly violated our Content Policy or Membership Terms.

I’ve arranged for more posts here on Notes to clarify questions around usage of videos from YouTube, trademark and brand guidelines, and resources authors can use such as creative commons licensed items and preview files from other marketplaces. So stay tuned!

And if you have any questions you think would be worth clarifying, please ask in the comments. I’ll try to answer as many as I can, and turn any big ones into Notes posts!


No comments:

Post a Comment