Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

Check Out Our New Rockable Book: “Getting to Know SEO”

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 03:07 PM PST

Rockable Press have just released a new book: Getting to Know SEO. In this book, content analyst and SEO expert Andre Kibbe gives you a solid grasp of what SEO is all about, and how it can help you generate steady and sustainable traffic to your site or product.

What's Inside?

Optimizing your website to rank as high as possible on search engines is more important than ever. But the Web is full of snake oil salesmen offering questionable tips and theories to make your site Number 1 overnight. Fear not – there’s nothing like that in this book.

Instead, you’ll receive simple and sensible explanations that give you a solid grasp of what SEO is all about, and how it can help you generate sustainable traffic to your site. Andre explains:

Whether you have a blog or an ecommerce site, you need to have a keyword strategy that accounts for what’s visible on the page, and what’s baked into your site’s HTML.

You’ll find out how editing the title tag of a web page can make a huge difference, and how to compare the commercial value of dozens of keywords using a spreadsheet and a formula that projects the potential AdSense earnings each keyword would bring in with a #1 ranking.

One thing you won’t get from Getting to Know SEO is a dump of questionable SEO theory and tips. Genuine SEO isn’t an overnight phenomenon. It’s simple, but not easy.

If you’re willing to do the work of writing and editing your content to be keyword compliant, and do some link building, you can get the most sustainable, qualified traffic available: search traffic.

If you’re serious about using SEO to drive traffic to your site and you’re unsure of how to get started, then my book can help you.

Here's a brief overview:

  • Content + Links = SEO
  • The Importance of Keywords
  • Keyword Research Explained
  • On-Page Optimization
  • Understanding Backlinks
  • Getting Links
  • Understanding Competition
  • Sharpening the Saw

Want to know more? There's plenty more detail on Rockable Press. You might also like to check out Andre’s recent article on FreelanceSwitch, Getting the Gist of SEO.

I’m Sold. How Do I Get Hold Of It?

From Rockable Press! Visit the site, or use these links:


Author Interview: Balistique

Posted: 21 Feb 2012 12:00 AM PST

Living in Istanbul, being inspired by music, “do not make something just to make it”, and being a Google lover. This week we meet Mesut Danış (Balistique) from VideoHive.

If you're an Envato marketplace author and would like to be interviewed for the blog, head over to this form. We'd love to hear from you.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?

My name is Mesut and I’m 27 years old. I’m from Turkey and I live in Istanbul. I grew up here and I love this city.

I’ve been working as a motion/3D designer for eight years. I worked in several national TV channels and production companies. At the moment I’m only working as a freelancer.

I love my job because it makes me really happy to create things that people likes and it’s a great feeling to know people appreciate your work. I can’t imagine myself doing another job. :)

Which marketplaces do you belong to? What types of files do you sell?

I’m an VideoHive author and I make After Effects templates for VideoHive. I make trailers, intros, presentation and openers, etc. But I want to be a part of 3DOcean and GraphicRiver in the future if I can manage to find spare time from my work.

How did you get started? Have you had any formal training?

When I finished high school I was playing professional basketball, but it wasn’t as good as I expected it. One day I meet a friend of mine, who works for a production company. We had a little chat about his job. After a short while I started working for the same company and that’s where I met After Effects.

I have not had any formal training, but my curious personality helped me a lot to learn all about After Effects and other software. :) I have had a lot of help from the Internet as well.

Describe your home workspace.

I have a small and simple office in my house. I use a mid level PC computer. And that’s where I do all my work.

I have some of my projects posters on my wall for motivation, and most importantly I have my Vuvuzella on my table for making my music. :)

Describe your creative process. What steps do you normally follow to create your files?

Most of my items started with music. For me music is very important because it’s where I get all the inspiration. When I listen to music I start imagining scenes, then I start working on them. Then I follow my imagination and everything comes along. Every project has its own process.

What is your advice to other authors regarding how to create a successful portfolio?

Our job has a very strong competition. Because of that, only unique and quality items can survive.

The most important thing I can advise is, do not make something just to make it. Try to use your imagination to make a variety of items that have quality and stand out.

What do you do to market your files?

I have a website where I have all my works presented. I also upload my videos to some social websites.

What are your three favorite files, and why do you like them?

My fist favourite file is BlacKnight. It helped boost the attention to my items.

My second favourite file is UnitedMotions. I made this template with my wife Berrin, and it was fun working with her.

My third favourite file is Purple Party, because its my best seller. :)

Apart from yourself, who is your favorite marketplace author, and why do you like them?

I have three answers for this question. :)

  1. InlifeThrill. I like him because this guy makes remarkable files.
  2. sonorafilms. I like him because this guy is a master of the keyframes. :)
  3. DaniMult. I like him because this guy has his own unique style.

What do you do in your spare time?

Generally I do not have any spare time. I am a computer guy and I love my Google. :)


Goodbye Cruel World

Posted: 20 Feb 2012 07:54 PM PST

Mission Accomplished - Finishing the big server move in 2010

For those of you who don’t know Australian music very well Goodbye Cruel World is the title of the greatest hits album Brisbane band Custard released when they broke up. As most of the Envato community isn’t based in Australia, I’m guessing that covers most of you. Goodbye Cruel World also makes a pretty good title for the blog post where I say goodbye to Envato.

In a few weeks I’ll be finishing up as manager for the Marketplaces dev team and moving on. I’ve had an amazing four years working for Envato. When I think back to the time when I joined, to where we are today, I can’t help but think what an amazing run it’s been. I joined the company when we had only one marketplace, FlashDen (in fact that was the company name then too), and I was roughly user number 38,000. We now have nine marketplaces and around 1.4 MILLION users. We could fit an entire database backup on a burnt CD back then! Those were simpler times.

For those who are wondering, I’m leaving to join my friend (and former Envato dev team member) Glen‘s startup Goodfilms. I could never have left Envato for just another regular job, Envato is just such a different and special place I’m probably ruined for normal corporate gigs for life. That said, I’ve always wanted to try the startup life, so when Glen tapped me to join him as co-founder I decided it was time to give it a go.

I want to say a big thanks to the community of authors and buyers across all of the marketplaces. I think that one of the best things about this job compared to others I’ve had is the very direct and genuine relationship the community and staff have built over the years. I’d been used to jobs where they stuff the developers in a corner and tell you to be quiet… to have been able to talk every day in the forums with the users actually using your work has been absolutely amazing. Beyond just being fun and motivating, I think that the back and forth between the community and the dev team has been the biggest factor in making the marketplaces what they are today. So once again, to everyone using the marketplaces and jumping on the forums – Thanks!

So what does this mean for the Marketplace Dev Team? Ideally it will be business as usual. Pete, who has been lead architect and second in charge for the past couple of years, will run the team while we search for someone to lead the team forward. The team itself is the strongest it’s ever been, and growing rapidly.

I can’t remember the last time I wrote a welcome or goodbye forum post about the team so I’ll just give you the full roster: Lucas, Pete, Jack (or Chendo), Mark, Ben, Matthieu, Dave, Steve, and then Julian who starts in a week or so. These guys are all top shelf developers and I feel like I’m leaving the marketplaces in the best possible hands.

So see you later Envato, thanks for an awesome 4 years and the best job I’ve ever had.

P.S. The header image is from way back when Glen was on the team and we did the massive server move project in 2010.


No comments:

Post a Comment