Monday, March 26, 2012

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

Featured Workspace: Soundroll’s New Professional Studio

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 03:03 PM PDT

Dmitry Lifshitz (Soundroll) is one of AudioJungle’s most successful authors. In fact his two profiles seem to have a permanent place on the AudioJungle Top Authors page – Soundroll-music is Number 1 by a very large margin, and Soundroll is Number 6 on the list. He spent his first three years as an author working in a simple home studio. But no longer.

In May last year, he started working on a new professional studio. The huge project – including building the studio and wiring it up – took three months. The end result is impressive. Check it out in the photos, and click each one for a slightly bigger version.

The gear in the new studio includes:

  • a few condenser and dynamic mics (Neumann, Rode, Fostex, Akg, Sure),
  • an API channel strip,
  • 2xTLAudio 5051 mono tube voice processors,
  • KRK V6 monitors + 3x Genelec+Sub (for surround 5.1),
  • RME Fireface 800 audio interface,
  • Digidesign 003,
  • a Yamaha 16 channel mixer for monitoring,
  • DAW software – Pro Tools and Nuendo.

He also has an impressive list of instruments:

  • acoustic guitars (Takamine + Classic Soviet Guitar),
  • Fender Jaguar,
  • ukelele,
  • balalaika,
  • acoustic drum kit (something antique, but good enough for sampling),
  • Nord Lead2,
  • Nord Wave,
  • Electronica em-25 soviet synth,
  • and his son’s toy instruments, which he sometimes uses  :)

Work seems to go smoothly for Dmitry, without major problems. His biggest concern is looming deadlines when he still has nothing to show the client. But he also finds deadlines motivating.  “Sometimes this situation is very good for me, because then I start to work really fast and the results are good.”

Dmitry does a lot of work outside of AudioJungle. He has just finished working on a 3D opener, where he produced a cover of “Lovin’ Spoonful – Do You Believe In Magic”, and sound effects for the video. It will be shown in all local cinemas in surround (5.1) format. And right now, he has started to work on the music for three short documentary films.

What do you think of Dmitry’s new studio? Let us know in the comments.

Would you like your workspace featured on Envato Notes? Upload your photo to somewhere on the Web and let us know about it on our Write a Post page. Or upload it to Flickr and tag it with #envatonotesworkspaces. Either way, add an interesting description. Each week we'll choose and publish a new photo.


The Generation of Inspiration

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 02:22 AM PDT

Rainy Day Inspiration by Jennifer

If you are reading this, you probably have an interest in art. You probably have a particular art you are especially interested in and are trying to perfect. As an artist, this is question that I ask myself all the time. “Phil, what inspires you?” Then I blink and realize I’m asking myself a question that I’m trying to answer. If I had the answer, I certainly would not have to ask the question. So obviously, if I ask myself this all the time, I’m still trying to find the answer.

First of all, what inspires you?

Maybe you can answer it. There are, after all, quick answers to this question. It may come up on a whim in conversation: “What’s your inspiration?” You may have stock quick answers, but what non-artists-trying-to-understand-artists don’t understand is that art changes. It fluctuates. Art comes and goes, therefore, inspirations come and go. And to keep tabs on everything that inspires you or what inspires you more now than anything else is quite impossible.

Sometimes my inspiration is my puppy. I love coming across the random wild flower in the middle of nowhere. That inspires me as well.

Sometimes inspiration isn’t all rainbows and butterflies, or cute, fluffy objects. Sometimes inspiration is some many stealing children and turning them into soldiers or sex slaves. Sometimes inspiration is the injustice of the world or a fight with your spouse (though this may not always result in beautiful works of art).

Pinning what exactly inspires you is a hard question to answer. However, I think a good question to ask is:

How do we generate more inspiration?

There are four things I can think of that are characteristics of inspiration and will be helpful in leading to generating more inspiration.

1. Inspiration is raw at its core and generates from tapping into raw feelings.

It reaches deep into our deepest bowels and triggers some sort of emotion that, when utilized appropriately, leads to action of change. Historically, we see how it breaks down walls and breeds freedom, causes dreams that desire equality, sparks revivals in hearts and renews fervor to the emotionally drained. Inspiration writes stories and stories trigger inspiration. Inspiration causes you to move out of discontentment due to becoming aware of stagnant contentment.

Ask yourself, what is your life’s message? What does your heart break for? What gets you fired up in raw feeling of anger or joy?

2. Inspiration comes from facing fears.

Becoming open to being in love and getting married was one of the scariest things I’ve ever done. I’m not good with commitment. I never have been. However, it has been one of my greatest sources of inspiration.

3. Inspiration comes from believing in your voice.

For me, this related closely with the previous number. Part of what holds me back in my potential is second guessing what I have to offer the world. “Who is little ‘ol me to offer anything of worth to anybody?”

Have you ever asked that question? Most of any time in my life when I found myself in a leadership position was because somebody else asked me to do it, and, half-believing in myself, I did do it. However, I’m glad I did. This help me gain belief in my voice and my message.

Two years as a youth pastor were some of the most inspirational years of my life. This was all because I had found my voice, and not only was I generating more inspiration for myself, but I was for hundreds of teenagers as well.

4. Finally, inspiration best perpetuates itself through healthy community.

I think we can see that on the Envato marketplaces. Over my life, I’ve gotten to see several types of community. Some seem to be “healthier” than others. Honestly, I always scoffed when I would hear about people developing deep relationships online and then they would fly out to throw some big get-together with all their online friends they’ve met.

Does that really happen? For me, AudioJungle came at a good time. I was in a situation when I needed some good community, and, though I do have other local communities, AudioJunlge has become one of inspiration generation and encouragement. It has literally opened me up to a world of people I would have never known or run into and has brought built up my faith in humanity that there are good people all around the world.

You may be rolling your eyes at that but, though I don’t know about the other marketplaces too well, AudioJungle has a really good thing going. It is a great community of encouragers. And in a great community of encouragement, we find, yes, generation of inspiration. And generation of inspiration in community begets regeneration of it.

It’s the snowball effect. Sometimes we find ourselves complaining of the massive amount of items being added to the marketplace, but, perhaps, that’s due to our perpetuating inspiration out of such an encouraging community. In the end, I’m okay with that, then. I’m all for healthy community. And as an artist seeking inspiration, you should be too.

Now for your interaction.

I only mentioned four things that help generate inspiration. Did you think of something I didn’t? Let us know in the comments! Or, answer with some of the things that inspire you most.


Weekly Inspiration

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 07:31 PM PDT


This week Vince Lombardi gives us an inspirational quote to think about.

“Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.”

- Vince Lombardi

Have a great week everyone!
Carmen


Show Your Appreciation: The Tuts+ Marketplace

Posted: 25 Mar 2012 06:13 PM PDT

The Tuts+ Marketplace is the world’s first tutorial marketplace. Go there to learn from the experts. Or if you’re an author, make use of the site to sell your own tutorials, screencasts and ebooks. If it's your favorite site, give it a shout out in the comments!

Site Summary

The site is complementary to our tutorial sites across the Tuts+ network, and contains many hundreds of tutorials and eBooks that you can purchase to help you learn. Categories include design, web development, audio & music, video, multimedia, 3D graphics, photography, mobile development, business, eBooks. To explore all of the sites categories, visit marketplace.tutsplus.com/category.

The Tuts+ Marketplace is an Envato Marketplace. At the Tuts+ Marketplace you can buy and sell tutorials and eBooks on topics like Design, Web Development and Computer Graphics. Items are priced based on depth and complexity. The site is home to a bustling community of people learning and teaching across all skill levels and is the biggest marketplace of its kind.

Be Social

If you'd like to keep up to date with what's happening on 3DOcean, you'll find it on most social networks.

There's always a lot going on, so follow us in multiple places so you don't miss out! So how often do you visit The Tuts+ Marketplace? Let us know in the comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment