Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Down the Foxhole - ActiveDen

Link to Envato Notes

Apple Wants You to Upgrade: Free Snow Leopards for MobileMe Customers

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 05:00 PM PDT

Snow Leopard by Rene Rivers

While Apple is currently testing and pushing out preview releases of OS X Mountain Lion to developers, There are still many Leopard-running individuals out there who have yet to upgrade to the latest version of OS X. Due to this, Apple is encouraging remaining customers of MobileMe to upgrade to Lion and iCloud with a free copy of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard for those still running 10.5 Leopard.

Customers who are in this situation and would like to receive a free copy of Snow Leopard can follow this link to start the process. After signing in, fill out mailing information to receive a installation DVD.

Snow Leopard currently retails at $29, which can discourage customers since Snow Leopard is mostly seen as a small under the hood upgrade. Those who take advantage of this program will still have to upgrade to Lion for $29.99.

The free Snow Leopard upgrade program expires on June 15. MobileMe shuts down a few weeks after on June 30.


Envato’s Most Wanted – $3,000 Reward for the First 30 Cinema 4D Templates

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 02:14 PM PDT

Envato's Most Wanted

We’re putting a $3,000 bounty on the heads of Envato’s most wanted file type – Cinema 4D Templates on VideoHive. The first 30 files uploaded (and subsequently approved) to VideoHive each get $100 (with a maximum of 3 files or $300 per author).

Examples of What We’re Looking For

See our Cinema 4D Templates category

Details

In short, it’s a race to see who can quickly submit quality content based on the following criteria:

  • Date Posted: April 24, 2012
  • Prizes: 30 winning files will get a share of $3,000 of prizes! 30 x $100 “cash” (payable ONLY via either PayPal or Moneybookers/Skrill). Not only that, all winners will receive the much-desired Most Wanted Bounty Winner Badge!
  • Maximum Prizes per Author: 3
  • Closing Date: May 30, 2012 (12 p.m. Central US Time)
  • Files We’re Looking For: Cinema 4D Templates. Submissions can be made to any of our sub-categories – Openers, Video Displays, Logo Stings, Titles or Elements.

File/Contest Requirements:

  • Files MUST be submitted to our Cinema 4D Templates category.
  • Multiple submissions from the same author must all be different to one another.
  • Normal VideoHive upload instructions apply
  • By entering this contest, you MUST sign and agree to keep any WINNING entries online for a minimum of 2 years: http://www.formstack.com/forms/envato-envatos_most_wanted_entry_agreement See form for full details. This form MUST be completed once your item has been APPROVED on VideoHive if you wish your item(s) to be eligible for Envato’s Most Wanted
  • DO NOT post submissions to this thread. We will be keeping an eye on the category instead to see submissions.

Where Files Should be Submitted:

It's as simple as that! The first 40 files to be uploaded (and subsequently approved) based on the above requirements win! Please note that we have some more specific rules to outline and clarify:

PLEASE READ FULL TERMS & CONDITIONS HERE

Good luck! :)


Author Interview: ThemeProvince

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 05:00 AM PDT

Learning ActionScript and migrating to PHP, learning design by exploring themes on ThemeForest, having a workspace on wheels, and aiming to become financially independent through the marketplaces while still at university. This week we meet George Baker (ThemeProvince) from ThemeForest.

If you're an Envato marketplace author and would like to be interviewed for the blog, head over to this form. We'd love to hear from you.

Tell us a bit about yourself. Where are you from, what do you do for a living?

I’m George. I’m 18 years of age and based in the North of England, UK. I’m currently taking a gap year, making money to become financially independent at University.

Which marketplaces do you belong to? What types of files do you sell?

I primarily sell WordPress themes on ThemeForest. Back in the day, I used to sell Flash templates on ActiveDen.

How did you get started? Have you had any formal training?

I originally discovered the Envato marketplaces back when I was about 15, well there was not such thing as Envato back then just ActiveDen. I was looking for a way to make money and this was the way I wanted to go about doing that. I bought some flash templates on ActiveDen to see how they were put together. I started learning ActionScript and over about three months I finally had the skills to create my own templates.

After Flash started to die out I looked to ThemeForest. I started learning WordPress and was introduced to PHP, HTML and CSS. PHP was very similar to ActionScript so that was easy for me to learn. It took me about two months before I was creating fully functional WordPress themes.

Design was the problem for me. I had no experience and to be honest I had no chance of getting a theme accepted at that stage. So I looked at other themes on ThemeForest and CSS galleries then I started to decide in my head what looks good and what doesn’t. This maybe happened over a period of two months.

I created four themes that I thought were not good enough for ThemeForest, so I ended up scrapping them completely. My first theme Adventure was my first “good looking” creation so I decided to try get it on ThemeForest. I guess you just have to practice, it’s as simple as that. Never give up!

Describe your home workspace.

I hate having a static workspace so mine is designed to be as mobile as possible hence the wheels!

Describe your creative process. What steps do you normally follow to create your files?

I first find about 10 good stock photos and base the theme on them. I don’t use Photoshop unless I need it for patterns and textures. I design in the browser and the reason for that is it takes half the time. This is also because I can’t use Photoshop because I’m primarily a developer who has adapted to his surroundings in order to sell themes on ThemeForest.

What is your advice to other authors regarding how to create a successful portfolio?

It’s quite simple really. The top authors work really hard and they get results. Oh and be ORIGINAL!

What do you do to market your files?

Nothing. I let Envato do that for me.

What are your three favorite files, and why do you like them?

Radius Responsive WordPress Theme

inFocus – Powerful Professional WordPress Theme

Core Minimalist Photography Portfolio

Apart from yourself, who is your favorite marketplace author, and why do you like them?

Mike McAlister! He’s an amazing designer/developer. His designs amaze me unlike any other author. Go Mike!

What do you do in your spare time?

I play tennis, cricket and football. Travel the world. And treat myself once in a while. ;)


Envato Are in Kuala Lumpur!

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 12:24 AM PDT

James and Ian wander the city

Envato have been dribbling into Malaysia’s Kuala Lumpur over the last week – most of us arrived on the weekend. We’re here for the Envato KL2012 Meetup. We’ve been suffering jet lag, tasting street food, having late nights, riding roller coasters, and sleeping in.

Best of all, we’ve been meeting the team we work with – people we touch base with every day, but haven’t met in “real life”. It’s a surreal experience.

Cyan welcomes the team before Sunday night's welcome dinner

On Sunday night we had a huge generous Welcome Dinner. Cyan and Collis welcomed the team, and we sat down to a scrumptious feast and good conversation.

The Envato welcome dinner

There’s a lot of us here, but unfortunately not all the team could make it. We miss you!

Naysan and Jeffrey filling their plates

The food here is great. Breakfasts and lunches at the hotel have been amazing. And at night we go out to explore a huge variety of restaurants around the city.

Lance and Haley, Brad and Lea, and myself checking out the Petronas Towers

If you’d like to see more photos, be sure to visit the Envato Photo Stream on Flickr. Jarel is running around everywhere with his camera, and will be updating the Flickr stream regularly. And stay tuned here on Envato Notes. We’ll bring you updates a few times a week.


1 comment: